Check out this post from The Museum Broken Arrow, it talks about the history…

Check out this post from The Museum Broken Arrow, it talks about the history…

Check out this post from The Museum Broken Arrow, it talks about the history of our building!






THIS BUILDING STILL TALKS…In 1906, Broken Arrow’s first electric power plant was built when J.H. Rhyne and his brother were granted a franchise to provide electricity for the town. In 1909, the brothers added an ice plant to the facility. Ice plants were comprised of an engine room (requiring electricity), tank room, and storage room for the ice. The ice was typically produced in 4′ x 2′ x 1′ blocks, weighing 300 lbs each. The delivery man used an ice pick to chop off the desired amount of ice. Then using tongs, he carried the ice into customer’s home and placed the block directly into the ice box. Customers could also pick up blocks of ice directly from the plant. Today, we have long outgrown the local power plant and have no need for ice deliveries. But thanks to creative owners, the building’s history lives on through its new use as the Broken Arrow Brewery.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on email
Email